What do you think of “The Great Health Debate”?

February 4, 2011

There has been a lot of controversy revolving around Kevin Gianni’s new online event “The Great Health Debate“.  Click here to check out “The Great Health Debate” website. This free event, which features debates with many thought leaders in the raw vegan, vegan, and meat eating world, has caused a considerable amount of discussion.

I have personally received e-mails asking me why I would promote an event like this, when it appears to have an anti-vegan message.  A recent blog post by Kevin Gianni asked why vegans are so “mean and angry”.

Personally, I am really interested in hearing the debate on the first night featuring raw vegan and ethical vegan thought leader Dr. Gabriel Cousens going up against the controversial marketing-savvy Dr. Joseph Mercola, who advocates that some meat is OK in the diet.  I want to hear from you.  Post your comments here on how you feel about this event.  Are you offended or upset?  Do you think it is wrong to put “meat eaters” on a platform?  Your feedback is welcome.  Comments below please.

Steve Prussack
Host of Raw Vegan Radio

RSS

Comments

63 Responses to “What do you think of “The Great Health Debate”?”

1. Joyce Scrath on February 4th, 2011 7:56 pm

I think its wrong of Kevin Gianni to diss vegans…did you guys read his blog post? Here is the link:

I will never support him or what he is doing…

Joyce

2. michael on February 4th, 2011 8:01 pm

I am firmly grounded as a vegan for ethical reasons. Hearing contradictory arguments by well informed speakers best prepares me for the real world. I prefer this to everyone agreeing.

3. Joan Levin on February 4th, 2011 8:02 pm

I think this is a great idea.

I get SO much guff from so many people - many probably mean well and many are just hecklers who look at my plate devoid of animal products, and mostly raw, and question my decisions.

I’ll be happy to get some authoritative answers based on up-to-date research, especially from people like Dr. Colin Campbell who has been a nutritional biochemist at Cornell University for decades, has served on many national and international boards looking at nutrition issues, and who can build a strong scientific case for the health benefits of a plant based whole food diet — with plenty of unprocessed food — which means raw.

And Dr. Campbell is up against a representative of an organization whose adherents have savaged him in the past.

I will also look forward to Dr. Gabriel Cousens as he faces off with Dr. Mercola.

Do we serve any good purpose by censoring the information we receive? The people representing raw food, or at least plant based food in this forum, include many experts who can take care of themself in a debate forum.

I’m looking forward to this and I thank the organizers!

4. Tommy on February 4th, 2011 8:02 pm

I am looking forward to this event with Kevin….I think it looks cool!

5. Gerald R Anderson on February 4th, 2011 8:04 pm

I appreciate both Dr.Cousins and Dr.Mercola and have read their positions. Even though I do not eat meat I am not liking the rhetoric surrounding the discussion between these two; Debate, meat diet vs. vegan, etc. When I meet people who inquire why I dont eat meat I simply say “I choose a Plant Based Diet”. Both of these guys bring integrity and passion and a high standard of communication will be maintained. In the end, if more people become curious and the opportunity to discover something that makes sense to someone, sheds new light, then the whole thing will be worth it. You have to admit that Dr.Cousins raising the spiritual element along with the physical benefits, gives new dimensions and meaning on the subject. Reading it a second time, Dr.Cousins builds a confidence and understanding that makes the subject of eating and the awareness of what we actually do, a choice of how I choose to live and strive toward. Dr.Mercola keeping the grill on and yet participating with Dr.Cousins invites new discussion and an opportunity for people who can’t decide, something to chew on.

6. Jennifer on February 4th, 2011 8:07 pm

I love the idea of getting meat eaters and vegetarians and vegans together for this event. I am looking forward to hearing all viewpoints. I bet we will find that we have more in common with each other than we ever dreamed of. I’m sure I will learn valuable tips on health from all the speakers, and I don’t feel threatened or irritated because I am secure in my ways- because I know that I could never eat animal flesh again no matter how much anyone tried to convince me. Ick!

7. durianrider on February 4th, 2011 8:12 pm

I think its great that Kev organised this debate but think its poor that he has only got a handful of vegans.

He has Wolfe vs his business partner Vitalis.
    Wolfe sells colostrum, deer antler, ant extract, promotes raw dairy and sells deer placenta. Im confused.

Since when did Vitalis become a ‘top diet expert’? The dude starved himself on a 1000calorie a day fruitarian diet and then blames veganism? Thats like me driving a porsche GT3 on the wrong side of the road, drunk, no lights and when I crash, I blame cars in general.

Mercola says the sugar in potatoes & bananas is worse than cigarettes. He is a diet expert though.

8. Patricia Wood on February 4th, 2011 8:12 pm

Well I am not a true vegan to begin with, maybe someday, as I feel better when I stay away from meat I will have to admit. I am trying to stick to the raw food for the most part.

I do read Dr Mercola’a newsletter and feel that a lot of his idea’s are well worth listening too. I also feel that all view points should be explored, and the truth is we all need to keep an open mind as we are still in school and the issue is not who is right or who is wrong, the issue is this country has to wake up to the fact that we are fed a lot advertising that promotes poor health especially among the children. I look at the junk food that my granddaughter buys for her children and they are sick half the time, but it is had to get through to them without causing a big disturbance and doesn’t accomplish a whole lot.

So somehow we are going to have to get through to them with a better approach and not get into a lot of controversy over it.

Myself I raised my family on a farm where we had raw milk, home grown organic vegetables and free range chickens not to be cool, but my children didn’t know any different. We never used sugar as we had bee’s and the honey was available. We couldn’t live any differently because I could not afford to raise 5 children and live otherwise.

9. durianrider on February 4th, 2011 8:16 pm

Kevin Gianni gets attacked by vegans.

10. durianrider on February 4th, 2011 8:18 pm

Daniel describes what he ate as a vegan before he went back to eating SAD. No wonder he got dropped off the deep end. Trying to live off unripe supermarket fruit will have you hating it in no time.

11. Paul Williams on February 4th, 2011 8:22 pm

I believe its good to present both sides of an argument…it should be an interesting event.

12. Avocadess on February 4th, 2011 8:25 pm

I’m really looking forward to the debates!!

That is just silly to accuse Daniel Vitalis of returning to SAD (standard American diet). I’m certain that nothing could be further from the truth; and David Wolfe, while he does not claim to be vegan since he does use deer antler, krill oil and eat ants, beyond that he totally eschews meat and dairy wheras Vitalis feels he NEEDS the meat and dairy now. I am sure it will be an interesting conversation.

I AM sorry that Matt Monarch and Kevin Gianni himself are not going to enter the debates, though. I think that would be interesting too!

I very much respect both Dr. Mercola and Dr. Cousens and look forward to what they have to say. Well, shoot, really I am looking forward to ALL of the debates. Some of these people are entirely new to me as well, so I am very curious what new things I will learn…!

13. Tara on February 4th, 2011 8:27 pm

Good question. I think debate is healthy and would like to listen to both sides. Hosting a debate does not mean that a certain agenda is supported. We certainly don’t want to be responsible for quieting a voice of dissension. I am sure that the flaws, where they exist will be exposed.

I am an ethical vegan and that will not change as a result of this event. I am more concerned about the recent softening of vegans and the addition of animal products and secretions in their diet for supposed nutritional or beautification purposes only. It is absolutely unnecessary. I am concerned that we are straying from our original intentions for being vegans, raw or otherwise.

I would like that we all ask ourselves why we are vegans? And to recognize and work to prevent the unconscionable harm that exists in the killing of our animal friends. Nothing is worth allowing this harm.

14. Tweets that mention What do you think of “The Great Health Debate”? | Raw Vegan Radio -- Topsy.com on February 4th, 2011 8:30 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Steve Prussack and Steve Prussack, Michele Deradune. Michele Deradune said: What do you think of “The Great Health Debate”? http://t.co/zzpM8eY [...]

15. Sue Paterson on February 4th, 2011 8:32 pm

I think it is critical that we hear all sides to any argument and are respected enough by the “experts” to make up our own minds what we think and to trust our bodies to tell us what we need as individuals. We are all different and need all the information to make an educated decision for ourselves. I applaud Kevin for doing this, am looking forward to hearing all sides of this very important discussion will continue to support those who will hear and discuss all sides.

16. Tamlyn Jordan on February 4th, 2011 8:32 pm

As a high raw food vegan who has followed Dr. Cousins advice and read his books (to excellent results) and have also been aware of Dr. Mercola’s savvy marketing skills and his use of questionable science to espouse his theories, I look forward to the exchange. I can’t believe intelligent people, after close examination of Mercola’s work (such as his repeated use of quoting non-existent studies), would follow his advice.

I can’t wait to hear Mercola try to substantiate his claims, as there is no weight to them. I know that Cousins will use tact and kindness and mental clarity in showing Mercola the error in his thinking that people need to eat animals to be healthy.

Kudos for putting this together.

17. Silvia Berglas on February 4th, 2011 8:34 pm

I have been raw vegan for 3 1/2 years, pretty much 100%. I have never felt
    better in my life. My wrinkles at nearly 50 have disappeared, health issues
    are melting away and I have flexibility, energy and mental clarity and peace
    of mind, like never before. Personally the raw vegan diet is my choice.
    Before going raw I was vegan, but I was unwell. I had been vegetarian from
    being a teenager, although before than I was brought up on a diet with very
    high percent of meat.

Sometimes I wonder whether a small amount of dehydrated meat or really
    fresh, raw fish or meat would be natural to humans. Than I think about our
    digestive system, our incisors and most of all our emotional connection to
    animals and I think, no, at least not for me. If others choose otherwise, I
    feel that’s up to them, we all continuously create our own karma and are
    called to pay for it one way or another. Animal flesh is hard to digest for
    the human body, whether people want to admit it or not. The energy wasted on
    digesting foods that are hard to digest, is wasted, and stops the body from
    working at optimum levels, at least that’s what I have come to believe.

I feel it is brave and very wise of you to put these talks on the platform.
    It surprises me that raw vegans find this angers them. Open debate is one of
    the most informative ways to learn, especially when conducted by people as
    brilliant as Dr. Gabriel Cousens! I’m sure raw vegans are not the only ones
    with anger issues though, but those who get so angry about this might ask
    themselves how they can detoxify their liver and become spiritually more
    compassionate, open and understanding to others. The one thing I always
    notice about meat eaters is the increased level of aggression. Wouldn’t it
    be sad if raw vegans bought into this aggression by closing their minds and
    decide to stop listening to other’s points of view.

Happy debating!

Silvia

18. Mary Montanye on February 4th, 2011 8:35 pm

At first I was against it and didn’t want to listen. I was against it because I’m a vegan for ethical reasons first, health second, and I will not be convinced to go back to eating meat and dairy under any circumstances. As Dr. Will Tuttle says, I might as well start chomping on my right arm. This might offend someone, but here’s my truth: if I will eat an non-human animal again, I’ll also eat a human animal. That’s how serious I am about my philosophy.

But, after thinking about the debate, I thought it would be good to listen in order to hear the arguments FOR eating animals and drinking their secretions. That way I can form a much more informed defense/offense when speaking with those who still eat that way. So I’m in and looking forward to it.

19. Cher on February 4th, 2011 8:35 pm

I think anytime there is an opportunity to hear both sides of a story is a good thing. Choice is a wonderful gift we all have. We choose who to believe, who to follow, how to eat, how to live, what works for us, what doesn’t. Line me up 10 people side by side and tell me that if they all ate the same thing they would react exactly the same in their bodies. Sorry I’ve been around too long to believe that.
    I think it’s a great idea to have these conversations from every avenue, to give people enough information to make their own decisions about their health, and what they choose to eat. Some people will make poor choices no matter what they learn, some may stop to think.
    I choose to be a raw vegan but never would I force my beliefs on someone else. It works for me and I have achieved wonderful health benefits from this lifestyle. Let others make their own choices. There is no right or wrong, black or white, when it comes to taking care of yourself, you have to do what works for you. And for anyone to sit in judgment of another for whatever reason, whether it is how they eat, pray or love is not how we will achieve a peaceful world.

20. Elwin on February 4th, 2011 8:38 pm

21. Steven Prussack on February 4th, 2011 8:39 pm

Wow, such thoughtful message from everyone…Much appreciated, I truly appreciate hearing your feedback.

Steve Prussack

22. Elwin on February 4th, 2011 8:40 pm

my opinion? dogmas are to the mind what toxins are to the body. Just say no to dogma. Pitting other peoples dogmas against each other can be entertaining, but only in a crass WWE kind of way.

23. Heather Nowlan on February 4th, 2011 8:41 pm

I’m not a fan of Gianni and I don’t like him even generalizing that “some” vegans are nasty and mean. I am also looking forward to Cousens vs. Mercola though. When I first heard about this event, I wanted to no part of it but I will likely check it out.

24. Heather Nowlan on February 4th, 2011 8:43 pm

I just have to add that I couldn’t agree more with Mary Montanye. :) Well put!

25. Mark G on February 4th, 2011 9:08 pm

I personally do not like Kevin Gianni at all. He has gone from being a fringe Vegan to someone that basically wants to diss all true raw vegans. His information is very limited and he hides behind positive, high voltage videos to create an illusion that he knows more about nutrition that he actually does.

What I feel he’s doing is wrong because he has only asked invited two or three vegans to his discussion and the rest are meat eaters. Since he has around eight meat eaters and three vegans, only one of which is a low fat raw vegan, he’s created an in-balance in favor of meat eaters. This has created an unfair advantage since the tables aren’t balanced. There are so many healthy vegans he could have invited including Doug Graham, Dr. Michael Klapper, M.D., John Robbins, Harley Johnston, etc. He didn’t though. Instead he is satisfied with an in-balance he created to make the outcome in favor of eating animal flesh.

26. Robina on February 4th, 2011 9:14 pm

I am so looking forward to these discussions. Brilliant. I plan to learn much from all sides. I’ve been mostly raw since way back in the 70′s when I studied under Ann Wigmore. However, I think each person must discover their own best diet for their body and their heredity. That may be raw, or vegan, or vegetarian, or include a little fish, or even a little meat. Life is such a wonderful process of discovery. Enjoy. Love. Have fun.

The important thing is that we are healthy and that every day is “the best day ever!” as someone we all know would say.

27. Michael H. Leslie on February 4th, 2011 9:23 pm

I am married to a very wonderful woman who has had her health compromised. That being said for her health sake we went on a raw diet. We like many health enthusiasts listen to a wide variety of experts. What I have found is each health expert expounds on a particular subject and then another program refutes what the other expert says. It is to say the least disturbing when you try to do what is best for your own health and you get differing and opposing opinions. Cacao and Agave nectar are a case in point. I don’t believe there is one diet that fits all. I do know what I need to ingest to feel at my best. Both the wife and I have found after listening to many experts and experimenting through trial and error a predominately plant based diet (80%) with very limited organic range fed protein to work best for us.
    As far as Kevin goes I think all sides should be heard and then do what works for you..

28. Julie on February 4th, 2011 10:01 pm

I think that open debate is necessary in the vegan movement. I have always believed that people will make the right decisions. But to do so, they have all of the facts. Vigorous and open debate is the only way to lead to the truth…

The only issue I have with Gianni’s program is that its completely health focused and there is not a single debate highlighting the ethical implications of a vegan vs. non-vegan diet.

29. Tara on February 4th, 2011 10:09 pm

Much talk about “meat” eating. The truth of the matter is that this meat eating or dairy drinking requires the enslavement and killing of a being placed on this earth for their experience, not ours. The very life purpose of this divine being is being stolen. How can we be in alignment with our life’s purpose while still in the process of stealing another’s?

30. janet c on February 4th, 2011 10:11 pm

Dr Cousens most certainly will be a fascinating ‘listen’ — also - Dr. Mercola - may think he has the market cornered, but - ‘some’ - for instance someone (now in their 60′s can do over 600 push-ups while now ‘living- ‘raw’ (and I’m Sure THAT raw means ethical, non-meat eating) while - in his university days could only do 20 push-ups. I wonder who will win, or — I wonder actually how many push-ups Dr. Mercola - meat-eater can atually ‘do?’ - Now … Thinking about it — There WOULD BE A CONTEST!!??

31. Susan on February 4th, 2011 10:14 pm

Honestly? I am frustrated and exhausted. What happened to live and let live. Why does it always have to be us against them…no matter what side you are on. People need to learn to be empowered to find out what works specifically for them both physically and spiritually. Everyone is different. Different things work for different people.

That said,

Oprah finally has a show on being vegan. Through out the whole show…the message was that it is ok to eat meat…eat meat or a lot of good people will be put out of business…Seriously? This was supposed to be a show on being vegan and how much it can benefit our health. Why can’t we have a discussion about eating a plant based diet without feeling like we have to bow to and make exceptions for meat eaters so that somehow they are not offended that we choose to not eat meat?

I can guarantee that I get a lot more flack for not eating meat than meat eaters get for eating it. When people find out I don’t eat meat, I get assaulted. Sometimes I wish I could pull out pictures of what animals, intelligent, feeling animals have to go through so that they can have their bacon. It sickens me. But I don’t. I believe that everyone needs to find their own path, their own enlightenment.

Why does there even have to be a debate. There isn’t “global” right or wrong here as far as nutrition goes. It is not black and white, there are many shades of gray. (When talking about the animal abuse, I do think there is a right and wrong, black and white.). People can thrive both ways. I think the debates just glorify the difference, draws the battle lines instead of trying to build the bridges or educate in a way that opens hearts, creates compassion and inspires people to consider a plant based diet instead of inspiring them to defend their meat eating.

32. JD Mumma on February 4th, 2011 10:18 pm

“it appears to have an anti-vegan message”
    Hmmm… interesting perception! So, giving both sides a voice, being interviewed by someone - who the best I can tell is a vegan (Kevin Gianni) - followed by what seems to be one sided discussions with noted vegans… is anti-vegan?
    So, would it also be true of the film Earthlings as it shows mostly animal abuses or a film like Skin Trade where one of the interviews gives voice to a popular semi-celebrity fur promoter - that these should also be considered promoting meat use and an “anti-vegan message”? Or instead does it end up focusing on what is wrong, while highlighting and contrasting selfish, myopic, and poor thinking and actions?

The real challenge in my perception is three fold. So few of the vegan promoters have been properly or formally trained in:
    1) critical thinking skills,
    2) how to avoid logical fallacies and
    3) strong argument structure
    so there ends up being a mix of mostly brilliant: facts, analogies, frames, evidence… mixed in with a few: fallacies, assumptions, biases… that the non-vegans separate out and easily argue against and often end up convincing their biased audience that everything else ‘the vegan promoter’ said must be just as incorrect and illogical.

“why vegans are so “mean and angry”?”
    The meat eaters will often see this as a perfect opportunity to attempt a misdirect with a non sequitur, ad-hominem argument to target the few vegans who are also promoting their behavior toward others (animals and human) as better (e.g. more peace-full) than meat eaters, yet ironically they often get caught being “mean and angry”!
    The additional fallacy thinking is that just because someone chose to be a vegan does not automagically cause them to be ‘nice and friendly’ to all humans. Many vegans are very challenged with how to communicate their ideas, ideals, passions and disdain for animal: murder, imprisonment, cruelty… in compassionate and empathetic ways toward non-vegans. A vegan may have upgraded their thinking toward animals and what they put in their body (yes I know it is more than just food) yet that does not automatically mean that they have also upgraded their thinking and behavior toward humans (especially meat eaters) and their human communication skills.

The goal
    If the goal is to upgrade human habits, raise people up, help people be more: considerate, empathetic, compassionate, animal conscious… then what words and actions do we model to educate and inspire?

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“This generation will have to repent, not so much for the wicked deeds of the evil people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

33. ron on February 4th, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi,

I would like to weigh in on this topic as I have what is generaslly considered a pretty unigue life experience…….that of a life long vegetarian. That’s right, I have never eaten a piece of meat in my life.

At 57, I have also never experienced any physical malady whatsoever…..not a cold, nor the flu nor even a headache. Heck I”ve never even burped.

With that said, I can tell you that my intuition tells me that if it has drawn a breath, you probably don’t want to eat it. So, anything that is freely presented is fair game. That would include eggs and dairy. Anathema to raw foodist and vegans, but coincidentally alleviating some of the shortcomings of their diets.

As for me, I don’t discount the role that my unusual diet has played in my health, but if you asked me why it is that I have never been sick, my instant answer is that I intend it. It’s that simple.

NOw this presents a sort of chicken/egg conundrum. Do I think this way because of the way that I eat, or do eat this way because of the way that I think? I tend to think that it is the former as it seems pretty clear to me that our consciousness/awareness if definitely affected by what we put into our bodies.

So there you have it. A vegetarian who adheres to inferior dogma, but has unquestionnably superior health. Go figure. :-)

34. Steve Prussack on February 4th, 2011 10:24 pm

Ron…

I would love to hear what your diet is…what do you include to never have a cold? I just had one :)

Steve Prussack

35. Ramonalisa/SpiritGecko on February 4th, 2011 10:30 pm

I am surprised that so much negative energy is being expended. If there is a lot of talk it sure isn’t happening on this page so yay to the positive and open-minded, heart based bringers of light. Elwin a few comments back said it perfectly. No Dogma. I am a high raw foodist, and deal with people who have thyroid and autism, as well as other issues. If we want to bring health and wellness to the masses we have to love them the way they are and provide them with options that show results. Everything takes time and as a teacher I believe we never stop learning. I am looking forward to everyones input and I know that each individual will have something to offer that will be useful. Thanks Kevin. Keep up the good work.
    May your Karma be reflected and you love rewarded.

36. fred levy on February 4th, 2011 11:03 pm

I’m with you Kevin. Who cares about the name calling and whether some people want to eat a little meat or eat it raw. Knowledge is power and I never know when someone might teach me something even if I don’t agree with their position.

37. Shanti Moon on February 4th, 2011 11:19 pm

Kevin is clearly not saying that all vegetarians, vegans, raw foodist, are mean. He is simply asking the ones who are to please stop. Their view will be better received if they can have more compassion for people who don’t eat they way they do.

Below I have posted some of is on his blog.

This first part is what someone wrote to Kevin:
    (“…Him [Kevin] and his wife are “raw food marketers”. They don’t live what they sing about! They’re both full of $%@& a long with [Names omitted] and the other raw food bull#$^&ters in the “raw food movement”.

[THIS DIET - I've omitted the name in respect to those who are nice about it!] is the only natural diet for mankind. Get with it!”

This is some of what Kevin said:
    Now, of course, this doesn’t mean all people who believe this way (this small group or vegans in general) are bad, mean or nasty. If you think I’m saying that, you don’t know me very well at all.

It’s a very small group. And the group needs a little coaching I feel, particularly if they want more people to listen to what they teach. It’s not all wrong – a good portion of the message makes sense.)

So ultimately what I’m saying is this…

Our lives are too short to be mean.

To short to argue beliefs.

To important to waste breath on those who don’t care.

More fulfilled when we reach out to help in a loving way.

And, most of all, will be much better off if we come together despite our “opposing” views than pretend to be apart.

This is the spirit of the Great Health Debate and, frankly, the way I try to operate (it doesn’t always happen so ideally… LOL!)

We all have free will. We all make mistakes. It is our nature as humans. I may feel sad that people kill animals and choose to not eat them. Some people live in places where they have had to eat animals to survive.

I believe that we get what we desire so if you want to eat meat you will be born into a situation where you can do just that. Some people don’t want to eat meat. I was born into a meat eating family and at a young age began to question the killing of animals for food. Now I do not eat them. We all have choices.

I believe that we do not need meat to be healthy. In Vrindavan India people did not eat meat there until 100 years ago.

As humans we are on the verge of killing our whole planet. I believe we need to stand up and tell people that their are better choices. I believe killing animals is not one of them.

In India there is a prayer that some people pray to the Goddess Kali that tells the soul of the animal that they are about to kill and eat that that soul can kill them in their next life. This is to awaken them to what is actually happening.

So hey, let’s see what the “experts” say!

38. Shanti Moon on February 4th, 2011 11:21 pm

opps, The part I wrote starts at: We all have free will…….

39. Shanti Moon on February 4th, 2011 11:53 pm

Check out this video of Prabupada. Another way of looking at meat eating.

40. Kevin Gianni on February 5th, 2011 12:28 am

Hey Steve and Crew!

This is quite an inspired debate! Steve, thanks so much for your support in spreading the word. :-)

Launching this event has shown me many sides of the diet spectrum… good and bad - of course the labeling is all my own personal opinion. :-)

In this post, I just want to give you a little insight into my own perspective to help eliminate some of the wild assumptive statements that have been put up everywhere about my motivations and my intentions to turn everyone anti-vegan. (Which, surprise, is not what my intentions are at all.)

I’m curious by nature. I like hearing differing opinions. I enjoy complete polar opposites.

The reason why is because it challenges me to think critically and really dig into why people (or I) do what we do.

This “debate” is a forum for all spectrums of diet come together to share.

It’s as simple as that. There is no winner, no loser. No good guy, no bad guy.

I was curious and so I got a group of people together to answer my questions. That’s kind of how the Great Health Debate started.

A large group of people, as it seems so far - tens of thousands in fact, share this same curiosity and are excited to hear the event when it starts in a few days.

On the other side, many of the things I’ve heard people say and talk about in terms of my agenda and reasoning for putting this together are completely made up - which doesn’t matter to me at all… it’s just funny to see how people seem to know so much about my intentions when I wasn’t even so sure about what they were… LOL!

Anyway, I’m not going to get into point / counterpoint here. That never solves anything.

I just want to say whatever you feel about it, at least listen in… doing so will flex your mind and keep it nimble. :-)

Live Awesome!
    Kev.

41. Mary Goff on February 5th, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for Posting. I grew up SAD diet, then Fibromyalgia in my early 50′s -CURED by Aryuvedic diet & herbs full treatment (massage/ enemas/meditation), then SAD 2 yrs., then ill again-Raw Vegan off & on past 10 yrs. Mostly feel good, and b…eliee we need some supplementation i.e.B12, Vit. D and occasionally fish/eggs. However if too much non raw, especially carbs, I get sick again. Am currently on day 5 of 7 day juice fast, after holidays/birthday celebrations, and I’m Feeling great. It’s a worthy debate though every person’s body is different, and not worth paying for, in my opinion. Love Kevin, & he loves marketing $$. More and more we humans will tune in & hear our body, and trust it! It’s our Sacred Temple and giving us messages all the time. Dr. Mercola speaks from studying Dr. Price/Dr. Pottinger. I tend to agree with him, though choose not to eat meat. Look foward to hearing what people share about the debate. Just met Ronnie & Minh…Ronnie 12 yrs. raw/Minh-all her life! They are the picture of health!! Wishing all Vital Health, Long Life! - 66 yr. old GrandmaRaw:)

42. Richard Raw on February 5th, 2011 12:55 am

I’m looking forward to a wonderful, intelligent and civil debate. I do think personally that the body of current evidence that supports a plant based diet for optimal health and also the healing legacy of the raw vegan diet is considerable… and substantial. Needless to say, Dr. Mercola is not a favorite of mine and I can find no reasonable justification for meat-eating on any level. I sure that Gabriel Cousins is more than up to the challenge of debating him . . . . if not converting him.

I have always admired Kevin Gianni’s educational and inspirational work to disseminate knowledge about the healing powers of raw foods. As to the aggressivity and oftentimes conflict that some individuals to oftentimes bring to the table in advocating even for true health principles . . . . . well, I think it is best most certainly to avoid all that!

43. Stacey Keith on February 5th, 2011 1:11 am

Someone made this video about Kevin Gianni being a fence sitter. I think its kind of funny.

Sounds like Kev had an obvious agenda to me. He picked the main vegan that gets the most crap: Colin Campbell and a wishy washy spiritual guy that talks like he just escaped from the Rattlesnake desert in Arizona: Gabriel Cousins.

44. Cindy Cummins on February 5th, 2011 2:49 am

I think it’s great he’s organizing the debates. I’m interested in what people have to say.

45. Dalila Cunha on February 5th, 2011 3:01 am

Right now all I can say is that I’m open to hearing what people have to say in this debate. I’m hoping that the subject of humans eating animal flesh will be covered discussing particularly that humans, I believe, are not naturally driven or meant to eat another animal, as I sincerely don’t believe any human would kill the animal with it’s own claws and teeth (just like animals in the wild do). I’m curious what people’s view point will be on this. Humans eat dead animals usually because someone else slaughtered it, and when it’s on the plate, it doesn’t even really look like the animal anymore.

I think if humans are going to eat meat (animal flesh) then they should be willing to kill it themselves (and not with a knife or gun) because that is not natural.

I’m really interested in hearing the view point on this. I hope that it will be covered.

Vegan for life because I don’t believe in killing animals. A plant-based diet is what I believe in.

46. Cyndi on February 5th, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks to Steve for the Great Pre-Debate, Debate here!

Stacey Keith, I particularly am excited that Gabriel Cousens was able to participate. I think he is one of the most misunderstood of the vegan leaders, mostly because of his spirituality and the vast majority of Westerners just aren’t ready! Even the ones seeking Enlightenment, in my personal experience. LOL

I agree Dr. Will Tuttle would have been a major addition (and who knows, maybe Kevin will squeeze him in). It does seem Kevin’s lineup includes people who mostly focus on the physical/biochemical/research side of being vegan, rather than the ethical/animal abuse/spiritual side.

Dr. Cousens being the main exception. Most people don’t realize that he is an Awakened being (Liberated/Enlightened). He brings a MUCH different perspective to a discussion on veganism, yet he will likely stick to the science as he is well-versed in the research and has contributed to it himself.

IMHO the “meanness” that is happening on both sides is a “bubbling up to the surface” of humanity’s collective “meanness” in this time of spiritual awakening of the masses. We are just at the beginning of the bell curve on that one and kudos to Kevin for opening this particular discussion. I suspect some surprising revelations will happen for hundreds of listeners over the course of the Debate.

47. Agoya Killeen on February 5th, 2011 5:37 am

*TIME-SENSITIVE* Dear Steven, I feel a huge opportunity is now available relative to this potential “truth vs. convenient self-serving fabrication” in this proposed “Debate” A Documentary “Earthlings” addresses the topic candidly, compassionately, amidst our absurd, dysfunctional and ongoing denial prevalent reality. This film could be offered as required viewing (free download) http://www.earthlings.com/earthlings/video-full.php as a pre-requesite to this event currently marketed as the “Best of 2011″ My suggestion; listeners could agree, as with a site requirement clicking “Accept” using parental discretion. Then be guided to download and view “Earthlings” by the honor method in the next 24hrs. prior to the “debate” literally for free or donation. The viewers choice as per articulated at site before downloading the film. Sure, some won’t honor this process, but many will seise the moment and potentially dis-member their entrenched denial rather then supporting future “Sentient Beings Dis-memberment”, once their eyes are wide open! As the film points out, “If people had to kill their own meat, we would all be Vegetarians” And speaking of 30 million land animals slaughtered daily, this is still “Raw Vegan Radio”. And speaking of Mean, -Meanwhile farm animals Methane Gas is 30X while the gas from their excrement is incredibly 300X the impact of CO2!!!!! What melts down drops elsewhere in unprecedented threatening ways. Angry? Try incensed and repulsed %(*&#! ” Earthling”s indelible truth is why Peace is commonly eternally elusive and denial blatantly epidemic. Carpe diem and thanks again for all you do, - Agoya Killeen 02/05/11

48. debbie on February 5th, 2011 6:20 am

I wish people would GROW UP! This is a discussion and opinions of people will not change my mind about how I eat…….I am a RAW VEGAN and that is that. It is the way I choose to eat and some people like it and some dont. Nothing those people say will change my mind because it is the lifestyle for me. It has brought me to a level of health I only dreamed of………so nothing they will say will change that. However, I am interested in hearing what they have to say, whether they eat meat or not. People love controversy and should just learn to relax and not stress too much. That is what is meant my making muntains out of mole hills…………just sit back and listen and enjoy. If nothing else it will be good dinner topic conversation………..nothing they say should change the way you live.
    enough said!
    hughs!

49. janet c on February 5th, 2011 7:22 am

We’re talking about ‘taste-buds’ here and there is bound to be Heat if people think there is a suggestion of - make a slight shift or change in our perception and have to give up our ‘sacred cow’ of taste? These are my rights to be cavalier her in what I do. Don’t animals with beating hearts such as ours have rights as well?
    Totally agree — Humans need to be heard, or All ‘Sincere and Seeking, Searching’ need to have a voice. All need a voice, but do we need not listen to ‘same-old - same old for centuries. I hear the animals crying EVERY DAY — don’t you hear them?? Great there is debate. Great Oprah brought vegan topic onto her show. Wasn’t she the one who went up against the whole dairy/meat ‘INDUSTRY’ a while back? Even though it may have been a one-sided view, hopefully it will open society’s eyes and ears some and instead of just wanting to hear ourselves ‘talk’ maybe just listen up ‘a little’ some days bring kindness and ‘compassion’ for ‘the beings’ into our day?

Thanks to the ‘Martin Luther King’ quotes. Very subtely put that way to speak through quotes. Let’s give the great minds hearts and spirits of wisdom a voice. The geat minds and voices who have spoken ‘Einstein, Da Vinci, George Bernard Shaw, Pythagoras, and the list goes on - ALL were Veg - endorsing it and living it. AS A SOCIETY we have taken ‘their words — but NOT their ideas and endorsement of Love, kindness and compassion all animals as ‘a way to live.’ Why IS THAT, that we hang onto their wisdom, their words, their advice, their science, but after all this time after the deaths - their advice — hangs hollow - like the 75 million carcasses consumed EVERY DAY - because we ‘like the taste of meat? Some sentiments I have just read — Will Tuttle’s ‘World Peace Diet’ — what a read — what a Mind Opener - so Well Researched, articulate and Riveting on Every Page.

George B Shaw said ‘animals are my friends and I don’t eat my friends.’ There are a ton of quotes of wisdom from these great minds. Type in for example vegetarian quotes Einstein - or wisdom quotes vegan - and see what you get.

50. Donna on February 5th, 2011 8:18 am

It is a person secure in their beliefs and in who they are to be secure enough to allow others to express their opinions. I was thrilled about this event. I have wanted something like this for a long time. Congratulations on being the one to do it.

51. Kevin Gianni on February 5th, 2011 9:18 am

LOL. :-)

“How come Kevin left out all the big gun vegan speakers? Dr McDougall, Jeff Novic,Will Tuttle, Doug Graham, Dr Ornish, Dr Klaper, Dr Barnard etc??? ”

Here’s how come…

- Dr. McDougall said “I’ll pass.”
    - Dr. Ornish was contacted 4 times - no answer.
    - Dr. Klaper - I chose Dr. Goldhamer (Dr. Klaper works at True North with Goldhamer)
    - Dr. Barnard - Contacted 4 times as well - no answer.
    - Will Tuttle emailed me after the fact and we’re going to have him on the Renegade Health Show in the next few months.
    - Doug Graham we will have on the show in the near future as well (we had him already in Nov.)

Please, please, please be careful with your assumptions. :-)

Kev

52. NinaV on February 5th, 2011 10:57 am

Raw meat whether it’s dried or not is repulsive. Vegan is not a health debate for me. Certainly I am very pleased that eating vegan is a healthful way of survival. I believe it’s our evolution and in some respects a return to our true nature. In my mind I think primitive humans probably survived on primarily plants, some bugs, and perhaps a stolen egg here and there and maybe if they weren’t attacked the scraps left over from other predators. I wouldn’t want to base my diet on any of those elements as being natural for today’s world. If tomorrow they said the only way I can being vegan was to take supplement X or else I would die - then I would take supplement X and move on. Once people get past this meat eating thing… we’re going to really soar intellectually and spiritually. That’s where my sights are set.

53. Mary on February 5th, 2011 11:23 am

Glad to see Kevin responding to the questions/assumptions. I wish everyone would take a course called the Landmark Forum at Landmark Education - a worldwide educational company http://www.landmarkeducation.org. You’d learn how the brain works, how we MUST be Right! How we make up things that aren’t true, and why we were designed to do this is to survive. We can alter who we BE in the world to being open, contribution, accepting, and Love. That’s the new world! This debate will be GREAT! And the truth is Metaphysically, we are all ONE SPIRIT! Now, on the physical plane we will see this happening massively. Wishing Vital Health to All! ox

54. Linda Middlesworth on February 5th, 2011 5:10 pm

I like having the debate as it opens up opportunities for vegans to share their knowledge about compassionate, healthy food choices and just what the consequences of our food choices mean. It is hard to hear the same sorry excuses of doctors and nutritionists pontificating their ill begotten information, which is most likely backed by the meat, dairy and egg industries or the medical institutions, which will lose money if everyone went vegan. Anytime we can debate this issue with those on the SAD diet or those who say it is good for you, is good for the process of the vegan revolution that needs to take place. Like Will Tuttle, Ph.D. says, saying nothing is not ok. This is just a way to tell the truth and expose the myths behind the meat, dairy, and egg industries and their backers;, i.e. the us government, the medical corpoations, etc.

55. Susan Bessette on February 5th, 2011 6:04 pm

If vegans are right, a healthy debate will only prove the point. We have nothing to fear from the truth. I welcome all points of view, especially those which differ from mine.
    For myself, philosophically I WANT to be raw vegan, however I have been fighting diarrhea for 18 months, ever since my 30 day raw challenge. I lasted to day 24 when I could no longer ignore 15-20 daily trips to the bathroom. I am still not completely recovered. Each time I approach 50% raw, off I go again.
    My husband lost 20 lbs on a vegan diet, and he was already skinny. He could be a poster child for a refugee camp.
    So 100% raw vegan is not possible for us. Although I WANT to be raw vegan. I am searching for the compromise that works in our very real lives.
    Let the truth prevail.

56. janet c on February 5th, 2011 11:40 pm

Have just read the Mercola-Cousens debate in print.
    Starts off that - medically speaking, (and I believe doctors and pharmacists are both ‘groomed’ from internship-onwards to promote the SAD diet) - care to know ‘very Little’ about how to make their ‘patients’ independent and to ‘encourage’ them to follow the ‘physician heal thyself’ edit. After all — WHERE WOULD THE MONEY be in that ‘trinity’ - the trinity of the ‘patiently-waiting patient’, the doctor, and the pharmacy. There IS No Money in ‘Self-Healing’ Patients.
    So how is it? — Doctors are indoctrinated from internship onwards that ‘Drugs’ (drug-companies- their ‘sponsors))’ are what they are being trained to pass onto people. NOT Healthy Eating.
    MERCOLA — (however progressive he would like to mis-lead people into believing he is helping them to be) - continues the ‘few-degree up-graded’ patter of his lucrative ‘indoctrination’ and raises the consciousness ‘NOT one-iota’ while
    ROBBING the people of ‘THE WONDERFUL POSSIBILITY’ of ‘FINDING’ their CONSCIOUS CENTRE through ‘higher’ food choices’ — through conscious eatingl Finding our ‘hearts’ our kindness, our ‘inter-connectedness’ with ALL living, breathing. beautiful creatures who are so-much more than hormonal experimentation, ‘mad-cow disease’ salmonella poisoning and the other abominations they have been forced ‘to BE’ to keep ‘agri-business’ bottom line’ going. Still the animals remain — - Abused, Confined, and Tortured- Waiting for ‘humane-ity to WAKE-UP and SEE their BEAUTIFUL SERENITY - in the Midst of all this ‘carnage.’ WHY don’t we choose Kindness - choose Humane eating behaviours, choose Healthy food alternatives?

57. Durianrider on February 6th, 2011 2:20 am

Basically Doug Graham wanted to be on but was not invited. Kev says its cos Doug has been on before but so have most of his current debate line up. Fred Patenaude was contacted on Monday and had to give his debate against Sisson on Wednesday!!! Gianni says ‘Im giving a balanced debate folks’..Err please explain why there is 2.5 vegans vs 10 non vegans? Please explain why the free bonus book is from Susan Schenk titled ‘Raw vegan explains why she changed her diet to included animal products’. I cover Susan’s mistakes in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5FN_RBXHJA

Bad boy Kevvy! You made your fame and fortune from the raw vegan community and now you covertly say fruit based diets are toxic, veganism is idealism and a diet based on fruits and veg dont even deserve a mention in ‘the greatest health debate in modern history’. You act like Doug Graham is a quack and let in crew like Vitalis and Croxton and call em ‘health experts’ while Doug Graham is left on the sidelines like a rookie waterboy thats only even there cos he won a waterboy comp from the back of a weeties packet. Real health food is fruits and veg not affiliate links to more of DW’s elixir hype and Mercolas pro meat tripe. Basically this ‘debate’ is 2.5 vegans paddling a boat with 10 anti vegans in front of a massive crowd and what you think people are going to conclude?

Giving away a free Susan Schenk ebook and calling it a ‘non sided debate’ is like doing a debate on sustainable transport and you give a brochure on how a cyclist almost got killed commuting to work and why they now drive a car like everyone else. But hey Kev’s not anti vegan at all. Its just a DR conspiracy or something.

58. Michael on February 6th, 2011 3:23 am

There’s another person who has been seriously left out of this debate and thats Gary Francione. Its not about health at all its about what is the morally right thing to do….

59. Steve Prussack on February 6th, 2011 8:26 pm

Did I just hear Dr. Gabriel Cousens say eggs, especially if eaten raw, are a good source of protein? This is nothing like when I interviewed him on my show…Surprised he would say that..are you?

60. Sarah Gilbert on February 6th, 2011 9:09 pm

Dr. Cousens is now saying eggs are a good source of protein?? and that a vegan diet is difficult to follow when compared to a meat diet? I once respected Cousens…he is coming across as flaky, and not following a philosophy he has lectured on for years! How authentic is he? I am finding not very….This is sad Gabriel Cousens! You need to get Dr. Will Tuttle to share the truth

61. Richard "Raw" Tasca on February 6th, 2011 10:36 pm

Should be renamed The Great Health DEBACLE of 2010!!! Nothing in the least bit worthwhile or enlightening. Mercola is shockingly ignorant of the health and healing principles of vegan and raw vegan diet and Cousins was off base and unconvincing. TOO MUCH FOCUS ON . . . . . . .OF ALL THINGS . . . . EGGS??!!!! Where did that come from and of what value is it. Rather unexpected and bizarre in my opinion. A very disappointing event.

62. Kevin Gianni on February 7th, 2011 12:02 am

DR, your math is funny. :-)

There are 6 people who speak about an entirely plant based diet in this program.

- Dr. Gabriel Cousens.
    - T. Colin Campbell
    - Dr. Joel Fuhrman
    - Dr. Robert Young
    - Dr. Alan Goldhamer
    - Frederic Patenaude

Kev

63. Angelina Elliott on February 7th, 2011 1:42 pm

First of all, when I first received an e-mail with the header that read, “why are vegans so mean and angry”, my first thought was WTH, seriously? What if I ran around asing why are meat eaters so mean and angry? I can tell you I would get a lot of major flack from all the meat eaters. What the hell were you thinking Kevin? That is not a nice way to begin a debate. What happened to being respectful? I have been a vegan for most of my life and I would never think to insult other people’s way of life. I never run around wondering why meat eaters are a certain way, yet meat eaters obviously have way too much time on their hands if all they can think of to do is to tear down our way of life. FOR THE RECORD, we didn’t start any of this, they attacked us and we are supposed to be good little vegans and say nothing and if we stand up for our way life, we are somehow CRAZY, AGGRESSIVE, ANGRY, NOT FIT HUMAN BEINGS.

Got something to say?