Dr. Mercola Vs. Dr. Cousens: The Results

February 6, 2011

Were you shocked at the outcome of this debate?  I definitely was!  First of all, you can still listen to this, its available for the next 24 hours at The Great Health Debate website.

I want to share my initial opinion and of course hear from YOU.  First, I will point out some of the more shocking moments:

1)  Dr. Gabriel Cousens (long raw vegan advocate) mentions that EGGS, and even better RAW EGGS are a good source of protein!   Did I hear him right?  When I interviewed Cousens on Raw Vegan Radio a few years ago, he was an ethical vegan.

2)  Dr. Gabriel Cousens said that following a vegan diet is MORE DIFFICULT than following a meat eating diet in terms of getting the nutrients you need to thrive. Cousens has been a long-term advocate of veganism…Listen to his interview on Raw Vegan Radio here, and you will definitely hear a different Gabriel Cousens.
Click Here to Listen to Gabriel Cousens on Raw Vegan Radio

3)   This was not really much of a debate.  It seemed like the doctors were trying to highlight all the things they agree with, and really tiptoed around the major differences in their philosophies.

I am beyond surprised, but I want to hear from you…have a listen here, and let me know what YOU think.

Comments

34 Responses to “Dr. Mercola Vs. Dr. Cousens: The Results”

1. Gill Gillono-Vegan on February 6th, 2011 10:06 pm

that’s why i have a hard time respecting most raw vegans

2. Christina Melton on February 6th, 2011 10:08 pm

This “debate” seemed slanted from the outset – did anyone else notice the banner ad on the blog page? Also, I really don’t think Gianni could crawl any further up Mercola’s ***.

3. Heather Nowlan on February 6th, 2011 10:09 pm

So many “vegans” have been caving lately…I’m really getting tired of it. Dr. Cousens of all people!

4. Dixie Lou on February 6th, 2011 10:10 pm

im also irritated about the inflexible view regarding growing your own organic food… everyone can grow sprouts in their kitchen… container gardens are also a great option… pretty much everyone can do (at LEAST) those two things to help produce (some of) their own organic foods…

5. Christina Melton on February 6th, 2011 10:10 pm

disappointing.

6. Richard Raw on February 6th, 2011 10:11 pm

Surprised is an understatement. That would be contradictory to everything he has taught about the spiritual importance of a vegan diet!

7. Dixie Lou on February 6th, 2011 10:11 pm

i expected more from this…

8. Sarah Loveland-Gill on February 6th, 2011 10:12 pm

I miss eggs more than anything else on the vegan diet. I avoid them more because of the cruelty factor.

9. Mindy McAuley on February 6th, 2011 10:24 pm

Interesting synopsis. Ever watch the debates on YouTube between Brigitte Mars and Susan Weed? I believe those ladies respect each other, but they didn’t have any trouble “taking the gloves off” in terms of speaking their very contrasting… points of view loud and clear. I’m not too into these debates types of debates these days, only because I feel like we all give enough of our power away to all the “experts”, and listening to so many contrasting points of view can actually become so confusing that I think many people may just throw their hands in the air and say “no one can agree on what to do anyway, so I’ll just do what I’ve always done”. I am an ethical vegan, and beyond that, I am doing my best to learn to read my own body and pay attention to the effect that each meal or snack has on me, and then act accordingly.

10. Kathleen Calwell on February 6th, 2011 10:39 pm

Disappointing and uninspiring. There was no debate and I felt that both doctors pussyfooted around each other and failed to state clearly their beliefs and their eating philosophies!

11. Richard Raw on February 6th, 2011 10:50 pm

Should be renamed The Great Health DEBACLE of 2010. Nothing in the least bit worthwhile or enlightening. Mercola is shockingly ignorant of the health and healing principles of vegan and raw vegan diet and Cousins was off base and unconvincing. TOO MUCH FOCUS ON . . . . . . .OF ALL THINGS . . . . EGGS??!!!! Where did that come from and of what value is it EIGHT RAW EGGS A DAY? Rather unexpected and bizarre in my opinion. A very disappointing event.

12. eileen laurel on February 6th, 2011 11:06 pm

steven, i agree with you about the tip-toeing around their differences. i suppose that is what i was looking forward to, a meaty (hmmm) substantial debate. they were looking for the common ground, perhaps to encourage people to make their own choices based on what is best and most respectful. still, i wd’ve preferred if dr. cousens took a harder line in promoting a plant-based only diet.

13. Cindy Cummins on February 6th, 2011 11:06 pm

No, I don’t agree with your spin on the conversation. They agreed that spiritual ethical intention to not kill animals and to seek spiritual growth would indicate a raw vegan approach. I think they were respectful of one another, why would that disappoint you?

I heard Dr Cousens agree that for the people Dr Mercola was treating that of all possible meat-based choices eggs would be the best choice FOR THEM. Dr Cousens never promoted eggs for his own clients during this talk.

I don’t think they tiptoed either. I think they both want a lot of the same things namely a radical change in the medical world and to promote whole organic local foods. The good news is they weren’t judgmental and emotionally ranting and frothing at the mouth at each other.

I LOVED the interview and was not disappointed at ALL. (Except my bias is Huh? when Dr Mercola lets out he thinks everyone needs some animal-based tissue to be healthy.)

14. Tweets that mention Dr. Mercola Vs. Dr. Cousens: The Results | Raw Vegan Radio -- Topsy.com on February 6th, 2011 11:10 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Steve Prussack and Michelle Robson, Suzanne Heneghan. Suzanne Heneghan said: Dr. Mercola Vs. Dr. Cousens: The Results http://t.co/R5QMoXm [...]

15. Steve Prussack on February 6th, 2011 11:11 pm

I see your point, Cindy Cummins, but if they are so much in agreement about everything, why have them debate? Seemed more like a love fest to me.

16. Corin on February 6th, 2011 11:19 pm

I was very happy with the debate. I am a raw vegan of 12 years, and have also appreciated Mercola’s wisdom over the years, even if I have some other wisdom and viewpoints about diet. I am STOKED however, how Cousens handled this debate and feel very strongly that raw vegan foods can finally move into the mainstream thanks to educated, intelligent, mature, realistic educators like Gabriel Cousens.

We all must open our minds and form a conversation, and that doesn’t mean you have to go against your own principles. Cousens did not go against his own principles by saying eggs are a good source of protein.

SCIENTIFICALLY, eggs ARE a good source of protein! You cannot deny that. But as he mentioned, on the SPIRITUAL level, eggs are much less than optimal. He also mentioned salmonella for those really listening.

Most people are not ready for the spiritual conversation. Yet with the way Cousens handled it, I truly feel that there will be many minds that will open up to the possibility of the spiritual side of all this simply by the way he just mentioned it and left it alone. AND notice how Mercola handled Cousens comment about the energy of an egg causing your mind to menstruate or something….like wow….that is some pretty “out there” shit for your mainstream person, and yet Mercola, basically mainstream with this kind of stuff anyway, said “wow, that’s interesting,” and was respectful and actually sounded interested!!!

Small steps guys. Small steps. We all need to open our minds and realize the conversation can’t happen all at once. This was a great opening that will help bring raw and vegan wisdom more into the forefront of mainstream consciousness. But raw vegans must also open up and look at the reality of the way most of the world lives, and has lived for thousands of years, and how difficult raw veganism is for most people. As a 12 year raw vegan, this has been an interesting journey for me. Be humble and grateful for what you have and always be loving with others, just as Mercola and Cousens were with each other. They are both brilliant and have done so much good for so many. Keep your heart and mind on the bigger picture the best that you can, remember that we can’t always see the bigger picture, and do your part where you are.

17. Danielle on February 6th, 2011 11:19 pm

Honestly, Steve … got your email to check out your opinion first (was unable to listen live) .. .came here, read yours and other comments and feel as though I do NOT want to listen to this now. I first heard another Raw Vegan talking about the importance of not missing out on social functions because of food choices, in other words he suggested that the odd consumption of cooked non-vegan food was ok (I believe it was pizza with pepperoni), to now this. As a newer vegan, I must tell you that the conflict of opinion is upsetting. The choice should be clear. Compassion or not! Consumption of even eggs; in my opinion, would show support for Predation. We steal an egg and consume it … is that not predatory? I thank you for your review and although I am very disappointed in Gabriel Cousen’s view on consumption of eggs I still want to believe that he had clear purpose for expressing this opinioin tonight. I have had nothing but respect for him and expected him to blow Dr. Mercola out of the water with this debate. This; however, was quite a shocking reveal! Thank you for your review.

18. Steve Prussack on February 6th, 2011 11:25 pm

Danielle,

That was not, by any means, a full review of the event. I highly suggest listening to the whole debate…there is much more to be heard, and that was just a quick initial reaction to SOME of what was communicated…Please listen to the whole thing, its like 3 hours, and I haven’t even gotten through all of it yet (just the initial “debate”)

19. Durianrider on February 7th, 2011 12:57 am

Kevin Gianni’s Great Mass-Debate…err I mean Great Health Debate.

I mean how come Gianni only has one possible out spoken vegan debater on the debate? Professor Campbell? How come Gianni has a free ebook to give out for the masses written by Susan Schenk(Nice lady and one that starved herself silly on a low fruit, high fat, cracako rich, low water raw vegan starvation diet). The ebook ‘bonus’ shares why raw vegan is dangerous and why you need to eat animal products! How come Gianni didnt get a free Ebook of Frederic Patenaude? He is always keen to share a bonus & actually writes some worthwhile information.

I though Gianni was a fence sitter but today it looks like he is a vegan spitter!

20. Durianrider on February 7th, 2011 12:59 am

Why are vegans so fcuken judgemental some people might ask after reading the above comments. Can you relate to this vid?

21. Veronica Patenaude on February 7th, 2011 5:56 am

Hi guys

I’m sad to hear everyone is so disappointed on the first event of the Great Health Debate.

I was with Frederic when he recorded his interview with Kevin Gianni last week and I have to say Fred worked really hard to bring the most up to date and informed information on pro veganism and pro low fat raw to the table and will definitely convince listeners of the importance of both for health and that meat eating and low carb are just not practical or sustainable.

He is speaking on Feb 12, so please please do not tune out and give up on the raw leaders that are defending our cause here.

There’s going to be some very good information imparted here on Fred’s talk some of which you have never heard before and it will definitely leave you with a sense of enlightenment at the end of the interview!

Stay tuned… :)

22. Veronica Patenaude on February 7th, 2011 5:59 am

BTW Harley

We did not know about the bonus being offered, I didn’t even see it until yesterday…. I don’t even know if I want to read it, it sounds depressing from what everyone has said so far.

Frederic DEFINITELY would have contributed a free bonus for the Great Health Debate promoting the LFRV lifestyle. He’s all about giving practical and relevant information to the community. He was only asked last minute, so perhaps that is why he did not have the chance.

23. Karen Dworkin on February 7th, 2011 6:12 am

I loved the debate and it showed that two people can have tremendous respect for one another.. Not a knock down drag out debate but one conducted like the true gentlemen they are..

I was surprised by some of Dr Cousens comments but very pleased to hear his truth..

Love and Light
    Karen

24. Cindy Cummins on February 7th, 2011 11:33 am

Love fest good.

Standing up for raw vegan good.

Dr Cousens’ did both.

Twisting info very bad, Steve Prussack.

25. Kevin Gianni on February 7th, 2011 2:45 pm

DR, your assumptions again are getting the best of you.

We have a planned unannounced pro-plant based bonus to ALL listeners coming up soon. It was going to be a surprise, but I might as well share that it’s coming now since you clearly want to do everything in your power to insult what we’re doing here.

Enjoy it when it comes out! :-)

Kev

26. Steve Prussack on February 7th, 2011 2:47 pm

I don’t recall anyone standing up for raw VEGANISM. Were we listening to the same debate? Last time I checked, eating eggs was not considered vegan. How is that twisting information? The definition of debate according to Webster is “To engage in argument by discussing opposing points”. That clearly was not done on last night’s program.

27. Soorya Darlene Townley on February 7th, 2011 2:48 pm

I was so disheartened by Cousens. But after hearing how harsh he was on marijuana-the rigid way he was declaring it harmful when reports say otherwise, I knew he’s been tripping and has been turning conservative. Why is it that MD’s always seem to fall back into the slime of not being truthful with themselves or society?”

28. Danielle on February 7th, 2011 4:51 pm

Steve, I am most definitely now going to give it a shot and listen to the whole thing. I think last night, I had the feeling like “oh no not someone else saying something different” ..I welcome all opportunity for growth, with respect for both sides. I’m really glad Steve that you opened this up for discussion. Thank you so much !

29. Gerald R Anderson on February 7th, 2011 4:51 pm

The good; they both opened the door of possibility for people new to the subject to learn more. The bad; I did not feel that Raw Vegan Living Foods was celebrated strongly enough to convey the many positive aspects and benefits. The Ugly: the subject of meat or meat products linked with heart disease was virtually ignored combined with communicating the eating of 8 raw eggs a day by Dr. Mercola as acceptable or not even challenged by Dr. Cousens is wrong. I embrace Dr. Cousen’s books and writings and find inspiration in his work. I enjoy some of the articles by Dr.Mercola’s daily emails. Imagine as we face environmental and societal change the urgency that will be apparent in the future. 7,8 , 10 Billion people on the planet will not be able to eat hamburgers, fish, etc. I believe that what we eat, how we choose to live—is nothing short of trying to save the planet. This was not a debate-but rather a feel good, information exchange supporting each others life work.

30. Jenifer Arizaga on February 7th, 2011 5:19 pm

I think these guys fell victim to trying to be nice to each other, for the sake of the interview. However, it’s also okay to disagree. There were good things about the ‘debate’, however I would’ve enjoyed more focus on raw veganism. And i totally disagree that we have to be soo careful with regards to getting the proper minerals and nutrients on a raw vegan diet….it just cannot be that complicated. Oh, and last but not least…raw egg? ICK! We’re back to the ‘protein myth’.

31. Jenifer Arizaga on February 7th, 2011 7:39 pm

Have we changed our minds regarding our body not having the anatomical characteristics of a carnivore/omnivore? Are we supposed to eat animal protein? Do we have the body of a meat eater, or NOT? Food for thought.

32. Richard "Raw" Tasca on February 7th, 2011 8:00 pm

Thank you Steven Prussack and fiancee, for your video today and for your accurate, fair, and honest critique of the “debate”.

Like so many of the bloggers here, I was disappointed that there was not a stronger sound advocacy for plant based and raw vegan diet and all the healing and health virtues and merits of the principles we espouse. Alas. But no matter. The dissemination of raw vegan diet information and the science behind it is out there for all those that want to learn and practice it. Keep up the fine work!!!

33. Cindy Cummins on February 7th, 2011 10:53 pm

Just watched your video on fb vegan page and was thinking about what you are saying about wanting more of a debate and firmer stance from the pro-vegan factions.

I had the thought,”Give us time.” Or “better luck next time.”

I do think this is a new era or genre in “debates” and a wonderful idea. When learning to ride a bike one might fall down a few times.

I’m looking forward to the next few nights as well as future building on this experience spearheaded by Gianni.

Meanwhile, I do appreciate you rolling up your sleeves and expressing what you see. Bravo for participation and ultiimately promotion of much-needed focus on benefits of raw vegan lifestyle. ~

34. Sheri Lynn on February 8th, 2011 2:22 pm

I’m going to throw something else out there.
    I just came off of my third raw vegan eating attempt - and I eat CLEAN - meaning that even when I am eating local humanely raised animal products I am predominately raw, grow my own sprouts, completely grain/sugar/soy and dairy free (my body does not tolerate any of these). Every time I have gone vegan (and I was a non-thriving vegetarian for 20 years before eating animal products) I fail to thrive. I lose energy, muscle, vitality. I am told by the vegan gurus that I need MORE superfoods, MORE supplements, that I’m not meditating enough (2.5 hours a day is not enough?), that I’m not spiritual enough, that it takes a body 2 - 10 YEARS to work it out, etc etc etc.
    I live next door to Dr Cousen’s place - the Tree of Life.
    I listened with interest to the ‘debate’.
    I respect that Dr Cousens laid it out there that to live vegan healthily DOES take a VERY high level of attention. I thank him for that piece of reality. I work from home and ATTEND to my diet - and still have not been able to thrive on it. Raising the attention level even further means that my days will be 90% tending to my DIET ALONE. Hello.
    I respect that Dr Mercola AGREES with Dr Cousens in basic diet tenets - they have their basics in line. I am a spiritually based person living a very physical existence. Were my agenda completely spiritual - as Dr Cousens suggests - then the vegan deal may work for me, yes. However I’m not there - and I am willing to add ‘yet’.
    In the meantime, Dr Mercola provides a way for us poor physically trapped less spiritual souls to thrive. And I dig his ability to get on the same page as Cousens.

Look, we’re NOT ALL THE SAME. There’s different paths to health. Let’s be respectful - and let’s applaud these guys for working toward agreement.

Got something to say?